A celeriac is very nice combined with potatoes in a mash but in a soup it works also very good. The basic is very cheap but gets some ‘glamour’ by adding the lemon thyme and the walnuts. A very healthy soup for a cold rainy day.
Ingredients you need (4 persons):
- 1 celeriac
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 onion
- pack of fresh lemon thyme (keep some aside for garnish)
- 50g of walnuts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 750ml vegetable stock
- 500ml milk (semi-skimmed)
- 1 lemon zest for garnish
How do you make it:
- Peel the celeriac and cut it into 1cm cubes. Chop the onion finely and slice the celery. Strip the leaves from the lemon thyme and roughly chop the walnuts.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the vegetables and fennel seeds and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon thyme and the stock and bring to a boil. Cook for 20 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the milk and half of the walnuts. Blend the soup until the preferred smoothness.
- Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Reheat to eat and garnish with the remaining walnuts and lemon thyme.
- You can add some parsley and olive oil.